JUN 16, 2023: By overcounting how much carbon their forests suck up, and undercounting how much carbon their industries release, countries undercount their total carbon emissions.
To learn more about this topic, start your googling with these keywords:
- Paris Agreement: a 2015 treaty negotiated by 196 parties that aims to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions.
- Carbon emissions: the release of carbon compounds into the atmosphere, mostly in the form of CO2.
- Carbon sink: anything like a forest that absorbs more carbon from the atmosphere than it releases.
- Flaring: the process of burning off excess gas from an oil or gas well or refinery.
- Climate TRACE: a nonprofit that uses satellite data to project emissions.