Forest fires can melt glaciers thousands of miles away by changing the colour of the ice – all thanks to a heavy little particle called black carbon.
This strange story of smoke, dust and algae looks at the lesser-known half of a positive feedback loop: not only does climate change make fires bigger and badder, those fires are then fuelling climate change.
Release via Greenpeace Unearthed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgDBvQcJZyE
- Video written, produced and narrated by Georgie Johnson
- Animated and edited by Sian Butcher
- Music and sound design by JPML.agency
- Script edited by Emma Howard
- Featuring Jessica McCarty and Alun Hubbard
- Footage from Greenpeace, Getty, NASA
- Special thanks to Greenpeace Global Mapping Hub, Dr Reyes Tirado, Ice Alive and NASA Scientific Visualisation Studio